Monday, January 4, 2010

The Stereotypical Software Developer

ok here goes nothing....
this is my first attempt at blogging since 2006 so bear with me.

I don't know but other people but I love the fact that I'm a software developer, you get the chance to create "intelligent" systems and it makes your mind more organized and rational but most of all I like that it gives you a new way of looking at things and it also makes you react to situations differently than other people.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going" i don't know who said this but today i found new meaning to this saying.

first let me paint you a picture of my day (and every day is the same btw), i woke up at 7:00AM, head off to work (without saying a word to anyone).

I arrived at work around 8:00AM and then started my daily phone conversation with my Project Manager who lives in the USA and that lasted for an hour.

then from 9:00AM until 6:00PM I was sitting on my computers(yes plural) in a state that can only be described as zombie-like without saying a word to anyone (that's because there isn't anyone to say a word to)
and not getting up from my chair except for praying 3 times (which takes 10 mins each).

"When the get tough, the tough get going", while other people might have just given up and committed suicide from boredom, lack of human interaction and extreme mental exhaustion, we, Software developers, have no problem with that because we were raised in college in that way.

and than when i thought about my day i was kind of pleased find myself falling in the stereotype for software developer, which is,

"sitting in a badly ventilated, badly lit 2x2 room in a trance with 1 or more machines doing things that require 6 arms and 3 brains to do with anything playing in his ears to drown out the noise. Working on a project too large for any normal human being to fathom all alone."

i don't know about you but i'm not trying to break that stereotype because face it, it makes us different and to the outside world, some of these feats seem super human (and who doesn't like that) and i would like to take this opportunity to all the stereotypical software developers out there, keep on geeking! :D


do you have a better story ? or anything to add ? leave a comment

1 comment:

  1. nice post Adham, I think we are all the same person but with different environments.

    really very nice words from you

    keep up buddy, Good luck

    ReplyDelete